Wednesday, February 01, 2006

"You can call him `azulino`"


When I sat down to chat the kids hanging out at the bussterminal, the first question I was asked was if I wanted a fish. I bit puzzled by what that meant exactly I asked them to explain. Quickly four glassbottles were produced containing small, aquarium sized fish in water. The boys had gone fishing in the lake next to the buss-station. They were very exited with their catch, and also because they'd heard that someone had found small aligators in the lake.
I decided on the blue fish and was promptly informed the I had to name him. Such a dilemma. I thought for a while, and one of the boys said: "I know what you can call him. You can call him `azulino` because he's blue" (azul= blue in Portuguese). I said that was a splendid name. We decided it was best if the boys looked after the fish for me, and that I would bring him some food the next time we came. I must remember to get some fishfood tomorrow.
It was such a special moment with this group of boys. We only started visiting them regularaly on the streets a few weeks ago, and I can already see trust and respect growing in them. Many of them are young, 11, 12, 13 years old, and often we find them very drugged on glue or paint-thinner when we arrive.
In a few weeks time we are hoping to open spaces for more boys to go to the farm. God is already highlighting some of these boys to me, and I am praying for God to really guide us these next few weeks as we seek to find the boys He has prepared for this next triagem (triagem= in between stage between the streets and the farm).
Stand with us in prayer:
* for the streetwork in this area of the city. It's called Terminal da Lagoa.
*for God to bring strategy as to how to reach these boys.
*for the triagem, that we would know which boys to take.

No comments: